The Consular Hall

The Consular Hall is one of the spaces that made up the original building of the Llotja de Barcelona, constructed in the early 14th century. It was located on the first floor, above the Contracting Hall. Its floor plan is similar but it is not as high. It was used basically as a storeroom.

The stairway that originally communicated the Consular and Contracting Halls was located in the centre of the hall, which restricted the use of the entire space. In 1477 the consuls undertook a series of alterations of the building, one of which was the demolition of the stairway and the construction of a new one at one end of the Contracting Hall.